Dr. Claudia Six
My approach is direct and compassionate. This is most effective with people who want to grow quickly and who appreciate straightforward communication.
First, I work with you to make sense of why you’re having the difficulties you’re having, and explain how it makes sense for you to be in the predicament you’re in.
Then I might gently point out patterns, inconsistencies or contradictions in which you are stuck and help you untangle or change those.
While we will review some background information (family history, relationship history), I am not going to have you describe your childhood over and over in excruciating detail. I am more interested in moving you forward, helping you figure out what gets in the way of you having the life, the relationship, and the intimacy that you want.
I offer sex therapy services to people in the US and worldwide via Skype or phone. Services
I will help you create a life that works for you and those in it.
It is also part of my work to help you navigate your own ambivalence. We humans are by nature ambivalent: part of us wants change, and part of us wants to keep things the way they are, as uncomfortable as that may be.
My role is to help you make sense of how the choices you make serve you, thus empowering you to make choices that support what you really want your life to be.
What do the letters after my name mean?
- Ph.D. I have a PhD in Clinical Sexology from the Institute for the Advanced Study of Human Sexuality in San Francisco, CA, USA.
- M.A. I have a Masters degree in Counseling Psychology
- A.C.S. I am certified by the American College of Sexologists, which is the oldest certifying organization for Clinical Sexologists, based on education and training.
- Board Certified Clinical Sexologist by the American Board of Sexology https://americanboardofsexology.org/sexologist/claudia-six/ which sets standards and maintains quality assurance based on academic achievement, dedication to the discipline and evidence of competence. ABS certification #2532.
- For more information on the scope of work I do in my private practice, please click here.
I abide by the CA code of ethics for psychotherapists. If you need deeper intensive psychotherapy that is beyond my scope of practice, I will refer you to a licensed clinician. There is no CA state licensing for Clinical Sexologists.
I’m also adjunct professor at the University of San Francisco.
Training, qualifications & experience
AASECT (American Association of Sex Educators, Counselors & Therapists)